Our neighbor and friend is a fantastic photographer and took photographs of the girls recently. Here is the first glimpse of the photo session, I’ll post more when we get more!
18 months old seems like such a milestone. Halfway between baby and toddler. Starting to do so many more things! Jokes, crafts, helping, and more!
Here is the rundown of where Talisa is these days. After this month I’ll try to get back into regular posting of daily things and probably not post an official Talisa update until 2 years.
I have to apologize, mostly to myself, for the severe lack of photos from this past month. The memory card from our handy small camera has been misplaced, and I can never remember to take out the big camera to take daily photos! So the few photos here are from Naren’s phone this month. Usually I have a few on my ipad, but the wifi on my ipad doesn’t work anymore, so I don’t have it handy and don’t find it useful to take photos anymore there.
COMMUNICATION – Talisa is in this parroting phase. All we have to say is “Can you say____” and she’ll repeat what it is we want her to. Some words are more clear than others, but it’s amazing that she’ll give any word a try! She hardly does any baby signs anymore as they have all been replaced by words. Sometimes she’ll sign “more” or “nurse” but I think that’s about it. She loves singing (Baa Baa Black Sheep is the current favorite) and she’ll sing along with her favorite tunes but with nonsensical words, it’s pretty adorable. She says 2 and 3 word sentences pretty regularly and is always pointing things out.
PLAY – No surprise here, but books are still her number one favorite toy. She is also getting more into role playing with dolls and such. Not anything that makes sense, but it’s cute watching her develop that side. She is also starting to role play things in the toy kitchen – putting a pitcher under the sink spout, giving me things to eat, etc. She is getting more accurate with her shape sorters. Naren bought her a set of the big duplo legos for Ayyam-i-Ha and she has fun putting those together. Sometimes she is content to play alone, and other time she insists we “SIT! SIT!” next to her and play with her.
We were fortunate to get to a great book sale this month. We all picked out some books we liked. Talisa had a blast of course!
SKILLS – Talisa has moved to almost exclusively feeding herself with her little fork and spoon. Last week she ate all of her breakfast oatmeal by herself (spilled a bit, but not much!). I think she was wanting to do this before we knew it because she’d always reach for the table yelling “nah! nah! nah!” which is what she says when she wants something. I realized finally that what she wanted was her bowl/plate of food! I bought a bowl with a suction cup so it won’t slide around while she’s trying to scoop out the food. She can easily take the bowl off of her try if she tries, but at least it helps with the sliding when she’s seriously trying to eat. She can also hold an open cup and drink out of it by herself! When she’s tired of drinking she’ll start dumping, though, so I have to watch her carefully.
FOOD – She is still eating mainly what we eat. Breakfast is usually scrambled egg (or just the egg yolk and Svara eats the white, their preference), toast, cold cereal, oatmeal, pancakes, frozen blueberries, bananas, etc. Lunch is often miso noodle soup (with carrots and tofu, she shares this with Svara), or else whatever we are having. Same with dinner. Snacks are popsicles (usually just blended up watermelon, or sometimes banana with milk/fruit), banana ‘icecream’, homemade cookies, crackers with hummus, raisins, etc.
SLEEP – Talisa is still working on those teeth! I think the last one of that set of 8 that was coming in is just about to pop. Then it’ll just be the canines and then her 2 year molars (hopefully not for awhile!). It’s still the norm to nurse her to sleep. Occasionally she’ll have a 4 hour stretch of sleep, but the usual night is 2 hour stretches, with sometimes a 3 hour thrown in there. Hoping after this final one comes out it’ll be awhile before the canines start coming in! She is improving with the staying awake in the middle of the night. This past month it has only happened on the night she had a tooth popping through (twice this month I think). She tries to get back to sleep, but it can take 2-3 hours on those nights.
GROWTH and DEVELOPMENT – we need to take her for her 18 month checkup, but she had fever and still has a little bit of a runny nose, so we’ll wait until next week. She is SO active that she seems pretty slim (but not too slim). I miss her chubbiness! Her hair has seemed to stop growing this month. It’s quite curly, but since there is not much of it, it just sticks out in funny random places. Quite entertaining 😉
THINGS TO REMEMBER: Here are some little things I want to remember but don’t really fall into the above categories…
- Talisa had a bad accident this past month. She fell on the three steps that go from our living to dining room and her teeth went through her bottom lip. Naren was not home at the time, and it was pretty traumatizing for the three of us girls at home. The bleeding stopped faster than I had even hoped it would, and it healed up within 2-3 weeks, but you can still see that her lip is bigger in that area. I wonder if the evidence will ever disappear. I really felt completely awful!
- Talisa is starting to bully Svara! Pulling her hair, hitting her, kicking her, etc. She does it to me as well, but not nearly as much as she does to Svara. I guess Svara is an easier target! Svara used to hit me a lot starting at that age, so it’s not too surprising, but it’s hard to get Svara to react in a way that will help stop the behavior.
- She has started saying “I love you” every time she kisses or hugs us, which is a LOOOOT. I LOVE it! She’s not clear in the way she says it, it’s something like “Ahdzhoo”.
- When we are playing around on the bed she likes to tell me (or whoever) to sleep and expects me to put my head down, take off my glasses, and close my eyes. Yesterday she did it to Naren and Svara and she even sang them some songs like lullabies, haha!
- Her little cloth (it’s actually a premie prefold) and pacifier are her security items. I have several of the prefolds so I can rotate them and have extras around just in case! She has to be holding her cloth while she nurses, sleeps, and if she’s ever upset. Svara never had any security items beyond her pacifier, so it’ll be interesting to see how long she keeps it for!
- She is starting to show interest in toilet training, but she only wants to sit on the toilet, she never actually does anything. But it’s a start! Time to get out the potty chairs!